Tuesday, March 24, 2009

RTW Preparations


24 March 2009

RTW Preparation...continues. This time I want to talk about Route Planner issues. Taking the first country, India as my initial discussion. India,is a big country. Very colourful and lots of history. After checking with friends in the IndiaMike.com and other sites, I am interested to follow the following route through India: Chennai - Hyderabad,Andra Pradesh - Nizamabad - Adilbad - Nagpur - Sagar - Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh - Dabra - Gwalior - Morena - Dhaulpur - Agra - Mathura - Faridabad - New Delhi, Delhi - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - Amritsar, Punjab. A total distance of more than 2000km and my estimate is to cover within 4 weeks with a budget of RM 10K or less.
Cross-border between Wagah to Lahore, Pakistan is currently closed. So? I bang on my luck this would be solved by the time I reach there ( mid 2012). Or, have to start thinking of another route. The Silk Road comes to mind. Now, this is going to be a lot more exciting (as though crossing India is not tough enough?). I expect following the Silk Road crossing China and entering Europe via Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Tajikstan - Uzbeksitan -Turkmenistan - Iran would consume both time and fund.
Meanwhile, the other physical preparation gets underway as well. Getting physically fit, start to brisk walk everyday for about 1 hr in the afternoon. Depending on my progress, I may gradually increase the tempo by swimming daily later. I was talking to my riding mate (Mr Big) about camping preparation. We would try camping in our next ride. Talking about camping, my last camping early this year by a lakeside did not go very well. I had to break camp in the middle of the nite because of very heavy rain and thunderous weather. What a failure that was.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck. I'm following your planning closely.

brian said...

Wonderfully ambitious trip! Best of luck to you and Mr Big.