Thursday, November 18, 2010

Europe Adventure Ride 2010

'pop up' type tent used
Entering Eurotunnel train
Toledo,first Mosque in Spain
Cordoba, Sapin
Roman ruins



Nov 18, 2010

Day +14 to +17

Crossing the Channel using the Eurotunnel is fast (under 1 hour) though expensive (37 Quids). The traffic was not unduly heavy at this time. You follow the direction indicated. If make mistake, no worry mate, someone will run by and correct you. I occupy a single carriage by myself. The staff there will keep you company if he is not too busy. It foggy and drizzling after the cross-over in French soil. Big sign everywhere DRIVE ON THE RIGHT SIDE. My thought was to get into Spain as quickly as possible. Not that I dont like France but better discover Spain early so as not get caught cold and unfriendly weather when I ride France on the upward journey later. So I choose the motorway, fast and easy but prepare for tolls. Many of them and considerably expensive too.
France is a big country.Everyday is a long hard ride for me. Cold and raining. Feet and fingers numb and stiff. Frequent stops and coffee break ease your body abit and awhile. Blackie has no heated grip the down side but she performed superb at an average speed of 130 kph. On 16 Oct, I entered Spain. Hello Senior n Senora! Rain persists.
Madrid here I come! Rain and more rain. I only weigh 58 kg but now 200 kg! All is wet now and pitching camp is out of question. Right?Hunting for hotel is best at outskirt of Madrid. There are plenty but depend what you willing to pay. Anything below 50 euro is within my budget with breakfast and parking space.
One of my objective to see Spain is to visit the past glory of the spread of Islam in this country. You know why its fall and what is today. Basically 2 main town to visit; Toledo and Cordoba. The Andulusia historical sites through the reign of the Roman, Moors and Christian left one stunning thing for you - ruin of rocks.

No comments: