Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 31-44

At some point of your ride, there seem to be a day when nothing seems to work. As I entered France soil, the toll along the expressway really piss me off. Unlike Malaysia, motorcycle in France no gratis babe! Pulling out your wallet to pay toll at the booth hamper other traffics. Worse I cant understand what they say! You in the wrong lane dude. Get out there and reenter to the correct lane! What! You think it easy to make a u-turn with a 300kg bike?God knows how I manage. I managed though to get out the motorway and riding the national road was a peace of mind. Though some road are snowy and icy which was unexpected I did cover the "Mende Tour Bicycle" route. Very very nice countryside.
Entering Geneva from Pons de Ain along the lower Alps is such a wonderful and superb riding view. Geneve, very expensive and setting just like any German towns; lake surrounded by commercial buildings and hotels. Hamburg comes into mind.
Black Forest is not to be missed town. Visit the town square and see the sculptors along the church roof. You will notice out of the scary looking animals stone there stood a bum facing towards a pink painted house. I was told, the sculptor was not paid for his job, so his final craft was bum in protest for work done not paid!
Visit Praha next. Very beautiful city with very architectural and artistic buildings. By this time, the cold front started to catch me and every riding day is very freezing feeling and strong cold wind blast.
The ride from Praha to Berlin encountered very strong freezing wind all along. Though it was wet day as I entered Berlin from the Eastern side of the city, my previous experience to Berlin help greatly me find a pension house just at the outskirt of the city. Berlin just like Berlin. Few have changed I notice since 2003; the Railway station, Jews museum and the Berlin wall remnants rebuild for public viewing are all completed now.
Leaving behind Berlin, I continued West to Hamburg. First stop in Hamburg was No 96 Wolhdorfer Damm, a house I once lived. There I met Angelika and Harder. They were shocked to see me and very very glad indeed how we able to meet up again. The house stands well and look after. After 2 days looking around the familiar places I head for the Netherland via the Afslutdijk crossing to Den Helder. Freezing cold ride though the sun manages to emerge for awhile.
A day ride at this worse riding condition for me would not last more than 200km. Had to make many stops for the nite and during the day looking for toilets a worse nitemare I ever had! The weather turns for the worse from now on. Every day ride mostly wet, freezing temperature and strong wind. Passing central Den Haag I encountered heavy traffic and I decided to take the coastal route instead. It was a wrong decision. Over the bridge of Zieriksee to Terneuzen, I was basically blown off the bike. In order to stay upright, I have to spread both legs out, balancing in wild madness causing massive traffic jam behind me.Bet they curse me!
I get closer to Dover each day with similar riding condition. Stop at Dunkerque, look see and push ahead arriving Calais. Get into the ferry and cross the English Channel. That few hours onboard a good break for a short nap and leg stretch.
At Dover check point, the police stop me for questions.The standard QnAs. Had to open both panniers to show them what I carry. All clear and the ride to London was boring enough. M20 was heavy traffic! The rain and strong wind persist.
The next 2 days I get down to repair the broken left pannier, clean the bike and rest before final delivery of the bike to Bournemouth Motorcycle Hire Ltd, Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.

Day 45 - 60


Took a flight to from UK to the Netherlands and meet up family in Harderjik. There I changed my riding mode from motorcycle to bicycle. Exploring surrounding Harderjik is very interesting experience and different. In my mind, one day how about cycle the Netherland? This country have a myriad but developed bicycle tracks all over the entire country. I take note of this and a highly recommended adventure for everyone. Its cheap and easy.
By end of November 2010, the weather in Europe gets worse. Snow and very unexpected situation as it comes too early. Many airports closed operation and it cause me a bit of concern as my return flight to Malaysia is schedule on Dec 3, 2010. Any much later I may not be able to get home. Lucky for me, Stansted London Airport remains opened and I flew home as scheduled arriving Malaysia and home safely.
The adventure taught me how small we are and be grateful what you have. There are always people who are most willing to help you out from the problem you have at that time. As I looked back, I must thank to God how lucky I am to have been given the opportunity to see, smell, touch, hear and been to places I planned for. And thank to my family and friends who endlessly pray for my safe and well being always.
The adventure end here and I am looking for the next one...The South east Asia Adventure Ride...

No comments: