Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Long Day Ride

Rugged rippio road Tupiza to Uyuni, Bolivia
Llamas and donkeys frequent your track
What a beautiful sight
Long empty dirt road
The day is drawing fast
Me and Daniel
My bike undergoing lung operation
9 May 2012

The longest day ride in this spectacular Bolivian soil was from Tupiza to Uyuni (in April) some 300km of gravel road (rippio) with some unmarked tracks in between passable only through running water and animals.
 I staretd off with another rider (Daniel) from Argentina on his 2011 KLR  and it was a good start although I rode without my faithful computer laptop and others valuable stuffs stolen by some bastards in Tupiza yesterday.
 The scenic view was just awesome. The pics above tell it all (of course there are more pics that I could not post them now, later maybe). Mountains, rivers flow, llamas, donkeys, lambs, desert vegetations and many more, they are  just there! The winding road, up and down curves with passing trucks feel your lungs with complete dust. At times there are only you and the bike in this empty wilderness.
 Halfway, Daniel fall from his ride and broke his right leg with a strain shoulder. He got to to be hospitalised and I was asked by him to continue with my journey. I felt so sorry to bid farewell to him in the ambulance bas my journey contiunues.
 The dust was so thick and the day draws to close fast. Soon, it was darkness all around me and I got some 100km away to Uyuni. This was my longest day ride ever in the dark in the semi desert towards Uyuni. I arrived Uyuni about 10 pm with the bike struggling for air (air filter clog). The air intake took it tolls from the dusty environment and in an average altitude of 4000 metres above sea level plain.
  The look of the garage was not very encouraging but the foreman did a good job for the bike.
My ride continues thereafter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear brother yeop,

thanks for the update;good ride and great stories;take care and safe ride always;