Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 86 to 96

Once I left behind Nasca towards Ecuador along the PanAm Highway, I am entering desert regions (the Atacama and the Sechura). Atacama desert is the driest desert in the world. Sechura desert named after a town swallowed by a huge tsunami in the early 18th Century.

Quick stop at Nasca Lines, Peru

  These deserts except for some areas, are just empty, hot, dry, hazy visibility, fine sand and closer to the Pacific the hazy visibility gets worse as the ocean spray enveloped great distance inland.This stretch takes longer than I expected.
Lonely Atacama desert 

Fine sand and hazy visibility of the Atacama Desert


 After border cross into Ecuador at La Tina, Peru and Macara, Ecuador check points, I headed towards Quito passing through Machala (the popular South American banana plantation town), Guayaquil (Ecuador important port), and Quevedo. Quito is thought to be very rich city where the Inca treasure still hidden somewhere. No wonder the Spanish made their last stand here.
Port of Guayaquil, Ecuador

Quito, Ecuador

The Angel at the Rounded Mountain, Quito
Quito, a street view
Ipiales check point, Colombia
Welcome to Colombia
Otavalo market town, Ecuador
Road side repair clutch cable
Pit-stop at Cali, Colombia

  Leaving Quito, I rode into Colombia at the Rumichacha, Ecuador/Ipiales, Colombia. At this border cross I was almost refused entry into Colombia because my passport only allowed me to enter Colombia through airport! Funny policy that is but the friendly official there help me out reenter Colombia at this land border. Thank you very much Amigos!
     I made a quick pit stop at Cali, discharging some of my loads before continue towards Medellin (pronounced as Medejin).

No comments: