Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summary of My South America Adventure Ride 2012

14 June 2012 

  This summary of my South America ride covers:

1.   Preparation             -    I put forth total duration, budget, places of interests and route selection.

2.   The Route               -    Basically I intend to ride in a round trip of  selected countries in South America.

3.   Budget                    -    All inclusive of flight, tours, bike purchase, daily budget, fuel and contingency

4.   Day to day report     -   From 10 Jan till 21 May 2012

5.   Conclusion               -   Observations and recommendations.


Preparation


Basic maps and diary to start preparation 


I bought the South America maps from a local store in Kuala Lumpur to give me a general view of the places to go. Of course my dairy, a must, to scribble and document every small details I find necessary. My first entry of the preparation stage was on 22 Aug 2011, about 5 months plus before my start date 10 Jan 2012. Meanwhile, I started to read about ride reports of other travellers in the internet and some adventure ride books. The list is long so I wont bother to include them here. Oh! One more thing, I started to dream of the would be adventure that I am going to have. Also, I keep broadcasting this trip to families, friends and  my 'working' partners.
  Since I have decided to buy a KLR 650 somewhere in Colombia, I might as well get to know more about this bike while I am in Malaysia. Yes, I have a 2008 KLR 650 in Malaysia and with it I mount for drill bags in front and bag on the top rack. I also, went for ride few days to get the feel of weight and handling. Technically, I think I have a basic knowledge how this machine works so would not be a big problem if minor repair occurs during the ride. I think I am OK that.
 Physically I think I am fit to ride this trip. I often did long rides on my KLR 650 or my Honda Fireblade 929 sportbike. Riding is mostly sit down effort and do not need physical, however one must remain focus on the road for hours. This required full attention and alertness which directly proportionate to your mental fitness. Mentally, I leave behind my other administrative things to my family especially to my beloved wife. Thank you dear for keeping an eye on things while I am away. Fear is always there in mind but common sense prevails. Make sure my common sense is common all the time.
 Money. What is enough for me may not be enough for someone else. So, how much is enough is very subjective. Please read the Budget section later. But I will go shoe-string budget. Camping where possible but would be happy to have a decent private toilet with toilet papers. If I have warm water, it is a bonus otherwise I can live with cold water for washing.
 The route basically is covering the Pacific coast from Colombia down to Ushuaia, Argentina and the Atlantic coast upward return to Colombia. In between I will cross the Andes range, Atacama desert, the Patagonian plain and lake districts of Chile and Argentina.
 Simple and keep it that way. The more details you add for any riding plan the more you get confuse. So, keep it simple stupid (KISS).  Thats the preparation.

No comments: